Literacy at your Library
Jasper County Public Library is committed to helping every member of our community gain the tools and skills needed to become successful in their every day lives.
The mission of the JCPL Literacy Committee focuses on pre-reading, technology and foreign language. Other forms of literacy may also be considered as need becomes apparent.
In response to patron requests, we have added items in business and social development, music education, interviewing skills and study skills, to name a few.
As always, we are driven by our patrons’ wants and needs. Your suggestions make a difference. Please stop in, or call, or Suggest an Item for Purchase online.
For Developing Readers
- Hooked on Phonics
- Leap Pad 2 and Leapster
- AWE Computer Station (DeMotte)
- Computers at each branch with developmental games
- Graphic novels for children, teens and adults.
- Playaway Views video books.
- Electronic read-along (Tumblebooks) books for young children and digital ebooks and audiobooks (OverDrive) for children and teens.
- Computer tutorial software for various school skills
Career and Life Skills Planning
- Career Planning and Development Guides
- Study guides for TASC, SAT, Praxis, etc.
- Great Courses (Advanced Level Classes on CD and DVD)
- High Interest / Low Skill books for developing basic reading skills
- Social skills books and videos for children and teens (Rensselaer, Wheatfield)
- Electronic resources for resumes and job searching (Learning Express Library)
Spanish & ESL
- Spanish materials available at each branch
- Hooked on Phonics
- Inglés Sin Barreras (English without Barriers) ESL course
- High Interest / Low Skill books
- Bilingual AWE Computer Station (DeMotte)
- Gates Computers at each branch with multi-lingual settings
Recent Literacy Purchases:
- Books on interviewing techniques, job searching and resume writing
- Sign language DVDs
- Study skills for math, reading and writing
- Books on customer service and problem solving
- Kaplan’s ACT Comprehensive program
- Kaplan’s Praxis and McGraw-Hill’s Praxis I & II
- Various TASC help study guides
- Princeton Review for SAT & PSAT
- Teaching courses on : Origins of Great Civilizations, History of European Art, American Ideals
- Saxon Phonics Intervention for older students (middle-high school)
- Spanish language bilingual books for all ages
- Rosetta Stone Spanish and French language courses
- Leap Pad 2 and Leapster interactive learning systems for preschool and early-middle school