Introducing Explora™ - a new student and public research portal
Now available is an engaging and versatile interface called Explora, created by leading reference provider EBSCO.
Designed with public library patrons in mind, Explora provides easy-to-use features and reliable content from the world’s leading magazines and reference books.
EBSCO designed Explora following a series of user research studies with the goal of better assisting students in completing research and classroom assignments and providing a more intuitive search experience for public library patrons.
Multiple versions of Explora are available. Each version features a unique landing page designed to best support the needs of students, patrons, teachers and librarians in their respective settings.
Available on library and home computers and from mobile devices, Explora offers the following content and features:
- High-quality articles licensed from reputable publishers and recognized by library professionals
- Simple search that quickly delivers relevant results, including primary source documents, news articles, and Associated Press videos
- Easy-to-browse categories organized by popular topic
- Topic Overviews that provide users with a starting point for research
- Text-to-Speech for HTML articles to assist struggling readers or those learning English
- No ads or pop-up windows
- COPPA compliancy, meaning EBSCO does not ask for or require personal information to use its databases
- Password-protected personal folders that allow users to save search results in a secure and organized holding area
- Citation help, including the ability to export citation information to online bibliography generators such as EasyBib and NoodleTools
Starting July 1, this interface will replace selected online resources previously offered by EBSCO, including Searchasaurus, Kids Search and the Student Research Center. There are comparable age-appropriate content portals for each part of our Student Portal. Explora also includes a version just for educators, offering lesson plans, core standards, education news and more.
Explora is also part of the databases that make up INSPIRE, the Indiana State Library's virtual reference portal, and is available through the INSPIRE A-Z list of databases.
Learn more about how Explora information compares to free Internet searches.
About EBSCO Information Services
EBSCO Information Services (EBSCO) is the leading discovery service provider for libraries worldwide with more than 6,000 discovery customers in over 100 countries. EBSCO is also the preeminent provider of online research content for libraries, including hundreds of research databases, historical archives, point-of-care medical reference, and corporate learning tools serving millions of end users at tens of thousands of institutions. EBSCO Information Services is a division of EBSCO Industries Inc., a family owned company since 1944.